A series of explosions hit an underground utility system Monday at the University of Oregon, plunging several student dormitories and other buildings into darkness as crews scrambled to restore power. Nobody was hurt, but about 3,000 students living on campus had no power in their rooms. University officials said electrical equipment overheated, causing circuits to ignite and melt. The blasts were audible above the ground and from several hundred feet away. It could take days to permanently repair electrical circuits.
Return to: Medford_news Blog