Past Shows and commentary at BLOG ARCHIVES.
Follow Bill on Twitter: @billmeyershow
ALL PODCASTS (last 90 days) on BillMeyerShow.Com
I've interviewed former Congressman John LeBouttilier several times. Here he is from Sunday's FNC's "Political Insiders". He and Pat Caddel, and Doug Schoen blow the lid on what the mainstream GOP and DNC DOESN'T want you to know. I think they're right on here:
BILL'S GUEST for 02-18-2014
6:35 Scott Coffina, from the Drinker-Biddle Law Firm. Scott was Associate Counsel to President George W. Bush from May 2007 until January 2009 and a former Assistant U.S. Attorney. He is now a partner at Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP on the firm’s White Collar Defense and Corporate Investigations Team. Scott also served in the Administration of President Ronald Reagan, in the White House Office of Political Affairs. Follow Scott on Twitter His writings can be found at National Review Online.
7:10 State Rep. Sal Esquivel with the latest on our legislative session. Sal's Website
7:35 Klamath Co. Commisioner Dennis Linthicum, candidate for Congress, U.S. 2nd District, talks about his constitutional conservative creds, timber and land policy, what Congress should do about the President's power grab.
8:45 BUSINESS GUEST - Gil Garcia, general manager from Mercedes Benz of Medford. We talk about some amazng cars, as you can imagine, but also their special TEST DRIVE OFFER: For every brand new Mereces-Benz test drive in the month of February, Mercedes-Bens of Medford donates $50 to the charity of your choice. Very cool! Plus, If you decide to buy a new MB in February, they'll donate an additional $150 to that charity. Last year, Mercedes-Benz of Medford donated almost $70,000 to charities.
8:10 Dr. Dennis Powers "Visiting Past and Present" Today, we're talking Medford!
By Dennis Powers
Four men, including C.C. Beekman, in October 1883 conveyed land to the Oregon & California Railroad Co. for its depot, right-of-way, and facilities. Mr. J.S. Howard, the government surveyor, and his son platted the new townsite, and Medford was founded on December 20th of that year. Interestingly enough, the Medford Times on December 14, 1883, reported that the station “in the middle of the valley” would be called Medford, supporting that David Loring, the civil engineer and right-of-way agent for the railroad, named it for his home town of Medford, Massachusetts.
The railroad tracks reached Medford in mid-January 1884. As Ben Truwe wrote, “Medford was a typical little Western railroad town in those days, with a few wooden store buildings and a great many saloons, some of them occupying tents. Frequently one could hear some of the more hilarious men riding up and down Main and Front streets, shooting their revolvers into the air.”
Within three months, the sparse settlement on the unbroken prairie had grown to thirty-six structures. As quickly as supplies of lumber and brick came, houses and commercial buildings rose; by early spring two hotels, saloons, a livery stable, and a dozen businesses “already dotted the muddy streets of this rapidly growing railroad town.” By December, Medford had 110 businesses and residences with a population of 400; the businesses ranged from dry goods, meat markets, and furniture to livery stables, drug stores, and general stores.
Medford incorporated in early 1885, and its first city ordinance was to prevent and punish disorderly conduct, riots and disturbances. The second one was “to prevent minors from loitering about the depot,” and another banned hogs running wild. After the railroad, the orchard boom was the next significant development.
With access by railroad to faraway markets, the orchard industry flourished; hundreds of thousands of apple and pear trees were planted in the early 1900s, and the Valley’s major export was that of commercial fruit. The Medford Commercial Club (presently the Chamber of Commerce) promoted a very successful, extensive advertising campaign in the early 1900s about the great advantages of the area’s orchard industry: Easy money was to be had. Medford’s real estate agents met the out-of-towners--arriving in numbers--at the train station to sell them on this “easy business.”
By 1909, numerous Medford buildings were under construction or in the planning stages. Buildings with the names of Sparta, the Carnegie library, Woolworth building, and four-story Liberty brick building were there or coming. The newcomers wanted also the new “horseless buggies” to travel from their country homes to the city. A Medford Mail Tribune article on November 28th reported that the city led the world in the number of automobiles per capita in 1909: It had one automobile for every 30 people when there was only one car nationally for every 500.
One year later, more people were in the city than could be housed. Since houses couldn’t be built fast enough, the city erected a tent city and even the railroad put new arrivals up in the train station overnight. By 1912, Medford had a high school, three elementary schools, a city park, new passenger depot, the new Carnegie library, indoor swimming pool, several movie theatres, and an opera house. Mountain water came there by way of 21 miles of wooden pipe; electricity and telephone service was reaching for the outskirts. The streets were paved, the city had four banks, and with fruit packing sheds and warehouses built by the train yard, Medford was Jackson County’s transportation and commercial center.
However, the boom turned to bust. By the mid-teens, Medford’s population had declined and there was a fruit oversupply. World War I blockades had ended the export market, while insect blight, frost, and drought hamstrung other orchards. Medford’s population by 1920 had dropped by 28 percent, all due to the orchard bust, and it took years to recover.
Despite the economic setbacks that came and went, Medford during the Roaring Twenties opened its fairgrounds with five exhibition buildings and racetracks for car, motorcycle, and horse racing. Inside the racetrack was a dirt landing strip that was part of Oregon’s first public airport. With the winning of a post-office delivery contract in 1926, Medford’s airport became the first and only airmail stop in Oregon. One year later, Medford was selected to be the county seat.
World War II finally overcame the last remnants of the Great Depression and its recessionary effects. The round-the-clock building of nearby Camp White brought about such heavy traffic over Crater Lake Highway, it was made one-way out of Medford with Table Rock Road heading back in the other. More than 10,000 workers were involved, and many lived in tent cities. Completed in some six months, the camp was officially dedicated on August 15, 1942, and nearly 40,000 soldiers followed for training at a time to bring prosperity back to the city.
After the war, the pent-up demand for housing sparked a boom for the area’s timber. However, the consistent economic cycles of boom and bust continued into the 1980s, the lumber industry falling into long-term stagnation. The services of healthcare, computerization, selling of automobiles, shopping centers (with Californians avoiding their sales taxes), and real estate construction took over, only to be followed by the Great Recession of 2008.
With this recovery seemingly underway, another boom starts, followed by another ending. Throughout it all, Medford continues to flourish as the center of Jackson County and for those close enough in Northern California.
Sources: “City of Medford: The History of Medford,” at Medford’s History; Ben Truwe, “Southern Oregon History, Revised: Medford Timeline,” at City’s Timeline; Ben Truwe, “Southern Oregon History, Revised: A History of Medford up to 1932,” at History (By Newspaper Accounts); Paul Fattig, “1909: The year that changed Medford,” Mail Tribune, November 1, 2009, at The Orchard Boom (And 1909).
Return to: BILL MEYER'S BLOG Blog